Happy Family Day weekend. How's it going? Today was a bit off the hook at Connexus. Really thankful to see what God is doing. Some random thoughts as the sun shines warm into the kitchen at the Nieuwhof home Sunday afternoon:
- Jeff Brodie gave a great message in Orillia! Although Jeff's only been
with us for under six months as our student ministry director, he's
already having a big impact. Thanks for leading the charge today in
- The Barrie campus was a bit nuts today. 10:00 was packed to the walls as we launched Orange Families. Our goal: to help families win at home. Five more weeks in this series, and I'm pumped for each of them!
- If you are finding the 10:00 a.m. too full, try the 8:30 service. I promise you, we can accomodate you there!
- What blew me away was not just the number of families that came out, but how many singles were out. Great to see many people who are not yet parents interested in parenting. Go figure.
- Thanks to those of you who are checking our podcasts. Find the complete archive of Connexus audio and video podcasts on iTunes. Three simple steps:
- If you need iTunes, click here and download it. If you have it, skip to the next step.
- Open iTunes, and type "Connexus Community" in the search window (top right), or search "Carey Nieuwhof". Both will lead you to our podcasts. Select the audio or video cast. Your choice and select "subscribe".
- Next time you open up iTunes, you'll find Connexus under podcasts in iTunes. Hit "get all" to get our archive. Future episodes will download automatically when you hit "refresh all" in your podcast window.
- You don't need to own an iPod or MP3 player to watch a podcast. Anyone with a computer can participate. Of course if you have an iPod, the message can go with you wherever you go.
- Men are liking this thing called church. I keep hearing this from women: "If we went to church before, it was me who dragged the family out. Now, my husband is the one who wants to come. He gets us ready." Or from men I hear "I didn't used to go to church. But I get this. Thanks!" Guys – that's so cool. That's why we often play dude music (screaming electric guitar and kickin drums) at Connexus – it's for you.
- Someone I was talking to said he loved Connexus because the message is like pre-school. His point: he gets it. Finally. Never understood it before. I know many preachers would be insulted. I took it as a huge compliment. If your goals as a preacher is to confuse people or dazzle them with how unintelligble (read "deep") you are, maybe you shouldn't be preaching. The Gospel is hard enough to "do". We shouldn't make it hard to understand.
- Our volunteers are tops. You guys take it up a notch every week! Privilege to serve alongside all of you at all of our campuses (Hey, Muskoka launches next month!).
Thanking God for all you. Bring a friend next week. Many of you have, and it's changing lives and families.