Thank you so much for breaking the silence.
It's been great to hear from some of you on your devotional life and what God is doing with you personally. It's a relief just to hear where we're honestly at, isn't it? You can read the comments here and some other ones here. I would love to hear more stories…so post away.
In the meantime, let me share some of my struggles and lessons:
- I have to prioritize prayer and scripture reading every single day. I'm tempted most days not to do it. Wish that wasn't true. But it's true.
- Confession is a discipline. Asking for things isn't. Time can slip by quickly when every sentence begins with "And Lord, please…". It's much harder when I start a sentence with "God, how would you change me when it comes to…"
- I would be a different person if I truly came to God daily asking Him to change me. Mostly, I ask God to change or ask Him to change my circumstances.
- If I rested in God, I would be at peace.
- The best shot I have of overcoming my innate selfishness is daily submission to Christ and to his teachings.
- The purpose of spending time with God is not to do our ‘duty', but to enter into a relationship whose foundation is love. God really does love me (and you). If I entered that reality every day, people would line up to know what I was on.
That's me. Love to hear from more of you.