What are you eating Friday? For me, the answer is – not the usual! For the next three Fridays, we’re going to invite you to fast with us as we move through the Thrive series together.
Thrive is more than a series, it’s a twelve month spiritual initiative designed to help people live with margin and live on mission. Living without financial margin can be paralyzing. It adds stress to life and reduces the opportunities people can seize. We want that to change. When families have financial margin and live on mission, people begin to Thrive. (If you missed Sunday’s message or want to preview it if you attend our Orillia campus, it’s here.) We’re so excited about Thrive because of the promise it holds for families and for our mission together.
So for the next three Fridays, our staff and elders are going to be fasting. Fasting involves giving up the physical so you can focus on the spiritual. While there are various reasons to fast, one of the most compelling for me is that I am reminded again and again how dependent I am on God.
Today, people will be fasting in a variety of ways:
1. Food Fast. A decision to consume no food – only water.
2. Juice Fast. A decision to consume no food – only fruit or vegetable juices.
3. Partial Fast. A decision to give up a certain food (like sweets, or meat, or something else) for the fast period but to consume other food as usual.
4. Object Fast. A decision to give up an object like social media, watching TV or listening to music.
Last week I drank only liquids. Today, I’m not eating any meat. Remember that if you have any health concerns, check with your doctor first.
While we don’t want to limit how you pray, each week, I’ll share a few things you can pray about. Here are three things to pray about today:
- Pray that God would give you the courage to take the steps toward creating financial margin in your life.
- Pray that this financial journey would deepen your trust and reliance on God.
- Pray that God would help you use your margin to live on mission.
Thanks for praying with us. Thanks for giving up something physical to focus on something spiritual.
We’re excited about all the potential we see for families and the community as we head into Sunday! We’re humbled by this journey God has us on. I believe our very best days are ahead of us. I believe we are being prepared to Thrive.