You call yourself a Christ follower. Maybe you made that decision as recently as this past Easter weekend, or maybe a very long time ago.
So…what is the next step for you?
For some of you…the next step is baptism.
Now I realize for many of you that’s a scary concept. That’s why I’d love for you to read to the end of this email.
Baptism is something that has marked the response of people to Jesus for 2000 years. And if you haven’t been baptized since you’ve decided to follow Jesus, we’d love to baptize you at our Baptism Sunday on May 26th. It’s going to be a fantastic day!
If you want to drill down on the background to Christian baptism, I think you will find this message really helpful.
And in the meantime, here are 7 reasons you would want to be baptized as your next step:
- Obedience. Jesus said that you should be baptized when you trust your life to him.
- You’re afraid. The fact that you’re afraid is actually a sign your should be baptized. Your biggest breakthroughs often come on the other side of your biggest fears.
- It will form a milestone in your life. In the same way graduation marks finishing school, marriage marks the beginning of a new relationship, so baptism marks the beginning of your new faith journey.
- Your prior baptism was as an infant or you completed confirmation classes. For those who were baptized as children or did confirmation classes, being baptized after your decision to follow Jesus is a way of marking your decision personally in the way he modelled it.
- God will use your story. Yes, we will share your story verbally or on video. Why? When else will your story be heard by hundreds or even thousands of people? God will use your story to impact the stories of others (whether you think it’s exciting or not:).
- Your family and friends will celebrate…and be impacted. When we baptize you on a Sunday, we encourage you to invite your friends and family to come with you. For many of them, this will be a rare trip to church. Who knows what God will do in them as they watch what he has done in you?
- We’ll make it as easy as possible. It’s a big step, so let us take care of the details. We’ll coach you through your story to make it easy. And on the day of, we’ll give you a bathrobe, flip flops and now even a T-Shirt. We worry about the details so you don’t have to.
So what’s keeping you from being baptized?
You can start the process right now.
We’re already cheering for you!