So let me ask you a simple question: if your friends could meet Jesus, do you think they would like Him?
I mean on the one hand that sounds kind of silly…but on the other, ask yourself that question. I think you know the answer: they would jump at the chance to have an authentic encounter with the real Jesus.
One of the things I think we’ve done too much — I’ve done too much of — is to erect barriers between people and Jesus. In the old days, some of the barriers were old music, old ways, old religion, old everything. I think I can still create bridges to Jesus or barriers against Him with the words I use when I speak, by the way I live day to day, by the way I interact with people and in many ways, by the way we are the church. We can be an opportunity for people to meet Jesus, or an impediment.
Imagine if in 2008 we just took as many of those barriers down as we possibly could. What would be some of the hallmarks of a church that lost the barriers so people could actually meet Jesus? What if:
- What if we created a space on Sundays and in community groups where people could be themselves — no masks, no hiding? Where no one felt they weren’t good enough to meet God?
- We got authentic and told the truth about who we really were and where our spiritual lives were really at. What if we admitted we didn’t have it all figured out? What if any pretending that was left, stopped?
- What if in everything we did we prayed deeply enough that we became more transparent in all we said and did. Less of us, more of Jesus?
- What if we reflected the character, humility and actual love of Christ more in every interaction with every person?
- What if we were known for our compassion, generosity, and humility, not for our "stand" on issues?
- What if we really got more excited about some else’s spiritual progress than our own?
- What if we gave our lives away, instead of always hanging on to them in a sad effort to save them?
What if we could rip down the barriers and simply lead people into a real and growing relationship with the authentic Jesus?
Would cities be changed? Would families be transformed? Would you be changed?
What if Connexus could play a part in that? This is certainly some of the DNA that went into the core of what
Connexus is…but I would love to see it blossom and bloom in 2008.
What do you think? Could it happen? Could a church do that?