At its most basic level, prayer is when the posture of your heart communicates your desire to connect with God. In many cases, you are bringing to God something or someone that’s important to you.
When you pray for someone intentionally and specifically, two meaningful things can begin to happen:
- You start to look for God more intentionally in the midst of life – specifically in that person’s life and even how God wants to use you to be a light to them. You look for and listen for God’s Spirit with greater interest.
- As you pray you also start to change the posture of your own heart. The process of praying for someone can cause you to care about them more deeply. When you invite someone into your prayer life, you open up your heart to be changed by God. As Carey has said in a series on prayer, prayer isn’t a button to be pushed but a relationship to be pursued.
So here’s a “spiritual experiment” you can try. Chose to get in someone’s corner by praying for them, and see where God shows up in their life and in yours. No one loves people, including you, more than He does. It’s exciting to see where God shows up. Here’s a few things to help you get started:
- Start: Pray for them by name regularly Often when it comes to something like this the best the you can do is just start. The first thing to do is simply to write down the name of the person you want to pray for – this helps as a reminder and a tool to hold you accountable. Second, pick a place where you will pray for them. It might be sitting in your favourite chair, on your commute, or during daily time you connect with God.
- Put yourself in their shoes Think about them. Their needs, their wants, and their dreams. Pray for these things. Then try to look at them through the lens of God’s love. What would our loving God want for them? Pray that God would show up in their life. That His kingdom would come and his will would be done for them. If you aren’t sure where to start, Jesus gives some an example of prayer in Matthew 6:5-13. Pray this prayer for that person.
- Ask how you can pray for them Often a simple offer to pray for someone can be such a meaningful way to care for them and minister to them. Most people will say yes and appreciate your heart for them, even if they aren’t sure that there is a God who exists. When you hear a need or a dream, offer to pray for that for them. Most people are in favour of being prayed for, and are amazed when God shows up.
- Watch for God to show up It will all be in God’s timing, but look for how He shows up in circumstances and situations. Look for how He is acting and moving in their life. Pay attention to how He is changing your heart as you pray. To me this is one of the most exciting parts of praying for someone!
Have there been any ways you’ve prayed for people that have been encouraging to that situation? Have you seen an answer to prayer that you would love to share? We would love to hear from you!
At Connexus, as part of being FORtheCity, we’ve challenged you to be in the corner of 4 people in your life who need to know that God is FOR them. Did you pray for one them this week? Be sure to celebrate that prayer by dropping a string at the FOR art piece on Sunday. Praying for someone is a gift!